Sunday, June 20, 2010

Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

I just read a question about little girls with short hair. I was shocked at the amount of people who called this 'lazy' and the little girls pictured 'ugly.'



You'd be surprised how many parents only buy designer clothing because of the label. You'd be surprised how many parents will gel their child's hair [in to a style when it's not needed] at a year old.



I just don't understand. Of course kids need to look presentable but what kind of message does it send kids when you won't let them be? What kind of a message does it send the kids when they have to be this or that to be handsome or pretty? If you don't do any of these things what do you think of the parents who do?



Uggh, if you are a parent like this please explain. I just can't believe anyone--especially parents and adults--would say things like this!



Thanks!



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

My mother was curling my hair when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and she told me to sit still because "this is how the boys like hair" I remember thinking, even then, how awful it was that I had to look a certain way to get people to like me. My mother meant well, and I love her, but it was wrong of her to say something like that because she wanted to curl my hair.



I try very hard to make my children understand that it's whats on the inside that counts. My boys are always clean and they are presentable, but I shop at Target because they have nice clothes for cheap.



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

1) Some people are superficial, and some are not.



2) Some people think that their child is a doll to dress up.



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

Parents do it to strut their own image (or create one) and any one who says differently is fibbing. Buying exclusively designer clothes for kids to grown out of is ludricrous. Give that money to the local food bank or children's charity.



I think it sends a terrible message to kids that image is everything. And that MIGHT be true with certain segments of the population it's not realistic. In my experience, people trying to look wealthy are most guilty of this crime... genuinely wealthy people usually have better financial sense (unless they're "hollywood" rich and don't need to think beyond the moment.)



Just my two cents!



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

When you meet someone, you make an immediate judgment of them based on their appearance. If they appear sloppy, we may think "lazy" or "dirty" or "ignorant." You don't want people to judge you inaccurately so you fix yourself up and become presentable. Would you walk out of your house without brushing your hair or in a nightgown?



Designer labels? Well, too expensive for me! And WHO see's the label when it is worn on the inside of our clothing? LOL



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

My daughter wore designer clothes and clothes from Walmart.



She had her hair cut by a stylist.....because she went when I went.



We also ate meals together.....visited family together.....went on vacations together.....went to every school play....parent meeting.....we read together.....had fun together.....disciplined when necessary.....feed the homeless once a month.....etc.



She saw us in a happy, loving, healthy marriage.



Those are the things that make a child a good responsible person......not where you buy their clothes.



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

I know what you mean. My sis in law only wears Abercrombie on her 7 year old. I think this is dumb. I can't imagine buying a $30 shirt for a kid that age. Then she's constantly harping on him to keep clean, don't wanna stain those good clothes! The only reason I can see that a person would do this is to say, look at me, look how much money I have to buy my kids this brand of clothing. It's sick. Kids need to be kids. My kids always look nice, and clean and they look just as cute in their Wal-Mart or whatever bought clothes.



Why are parents [of all people...] superficial?

Well I would agree - I always had my boys loook smart and that included hair brushed and combed properly for school/Church/visiting and so on but when it came to them going out to play they wore casual shorts/tee shirts and so on in order that they felt *able* to play - without worrying about their clothes.



These days it seems some parents want their children dressed up in "designer" or "fashionable" clothing all of the time and not only can this be inappropriate (buying "cargo" style shorts for school for instance) but also inhibits children from playing as they sense that their Mother has paid a lot of money for the clothes and will fuss if they damage them.I have spare clothes - quite reasonable to look at but practical and inexpensive - here to change my grandsons into when they come round so that at least they can play here freely.



The problem is that now that he is eight my eldest has already got the idea that he should be dressed in this "fashionable" clothing and objects to me changing him into more suitable clothing here and that attitude is also rubbing off onto his brothers.



What they will be like as teenagers I don't know but I do know that buying them such clothing at so young an age can only be a harmful thing.



Sometimes when my boys came out of school they looked like they had been dragged through a hedge backwards and they were hardly recognisable from the smartly dressed boys that I had taken in that morning! I certainly didn't call them ugly - I just set to work tucking shirts back in,pulling up socks and so on and then got out my comb (which you need on you all of the time!).They were soon restored to a reasonable state and I was pleased that they had got into one because it meant that they had been running around in the playground getting exercise and fresh air.How many of today's "designer" children would dare do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
auto loan