Thursday, November 26, 2009

What are the odds we'll have a blue-eyed kid?

I have very pale grey/blue eyes, but both of my birth-parents have brown eyes (and brown hair). Although I have not met them in person, I have spoken with them on the phone. Obviously, I inherited some recessive traits.



My husband has brown eyes, and his parents have brown eyes, too.



I know our children will most likely have brown eyes, but what is the probability they will have light colored eyes like me?



I found an "eye color" calculator online, but it DOESN'T WORK. So if you post a link to one of those things, please make sure it works.



Also - I just want to make clear that I could care less what color eyes my future children have. Because I am adopted, I do not look like ANYONE I have ever known in my entire life, and statistically speaking, my kids probably won't look like me, either.



What are the odds we'll have a blue-eyed kid?

We understand the blue eye allelle pretty well, but NOT the green or gray eyed one, and we're just now starting to realize that at least two allelles, and probably 3-4 are responsible for eye color. It used to be said that gray, and green were "expressions of blue" and now we know that just isn't it.



gray+green seem to be at least partially codominant, and it's pretty well documented that gray+green yields a kid with brown eyes and blue+gray gives a kid with blue eyes (usually), so it may be that green and gray are caused by something missing on the gene that the other fills in. As if that wasn't bad enough, the current theory is that there is a green that is dominant AND a green that is recessive, and they look the same....



Just because your hubbie's folks have brown eyes doesn't mean he's homozygous for the genes that yield brown. He probably is, and gray+brown probably yields brown, but unlike simple blue, if you're a gray not a blue, and he's got blue, green or gray hiding in there, all bets are off!



Eye color is not like pea flowers or lab dog colors, so we're kinda stuck when it comes to calculating.



Brown does tend to over ride other things, but we just don't understand the gray allelle AT ALL.



If you're a blue, not a gray, it's a little simpler (maybe) If your husband is a brown-blue, your kid might have blue, and if he's a brown-green, you might have brown, and if he's a brown-brown, you might have brown.



My ex was blue eyed, my mom green, my dad gray, and my son and I are brown. One of my grandparent's eyes are almost black they are so darkly green-brown, so I am a living example of probably some of the weirdest combinations around, and I just throw back ordinary brown. :)



What are the odds we'll have a blue-eyed kid?

The odds are really small. I am sure tjough at first they will be blue like yours but possibly as they get older they will most likely change to a brown or maybe hazel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
auto loan